Brent Rentiers practices out of the firm’s Kelowna office where he handles litigation matters throughout British Columbia’s Interior region.
Brent’s insurance defence practice focuses on property and construction damage, professionals accused of negligence, and commercial host, liquor and recreational liability, including serious bodily injuries stemming from these latter types of claims. Brent also has experience defending insurer’s coverage positions, Occupiers Liability claims, out-of-province insured automobiles and handling employment practice liability matters.
Brent has conducted trials before the Supreme Court of British Columbia, as well as the Provincial Courts of British Columbia and Alberta. Brent joined the firm in 2013 after practicing civil litigation with a prominent B.C. regional firm and a national law firm in Calgary. Brent brings unique industry knowledge to his defence of liquor liability claims, having worked as a bar doorman throughout his university years. Brent also has prior experience working as an officer for the Canada Border Services Agency where he learnt valuable questioning techniques. In addition to his Law degree, Brent holds an undergraduate degree in Commerce (Urban Land Economics/Real Estate), both from the University of British Columbia.
Brent’s representative experience includes:
- Trial defence of a real estate/property management agency accused of professional negligence:Kallenbach v. Vantage Property Services Inc., 2015 BCSC 423
- Trial defence team in a catastrophic injury pedestrian accident: Kaiser v. Williams, 2015 BCSC 646
- Trial defence of a property insurer’s denial of coverage: Foch v. Gore Mutual Company, 2014 BCPC Rossland Registry No. C11271 (unreported)
- Whether a Plaintiff’s Summary Trial application is suitable for a judicial determination: L.P.E.Y. Holdings Ltd. v. Roshinsky, 2013 BCSC 2127
- Summary Trial prosecution of a Resort’s trespass and mesne profits claim: Initiate School of the Canadian Rocky Mountains Ltd. v. Wolfenden Ventures Ltd., 2013 BCSC 257
- Representative team for an Intervenor in a constitutional Charter of Rights challenge: Charter v. Canada (Attorney General), 2012 BCSC 886
- Prosecution of an employer’s claim for an employee’s wrongful taking of funds and defence of the employee’s counter-claim for wrongful termination: On-Site Solutions Inc. v. Knapik, 2011 ABPC 129
- Off-premises Liquor Liability: Overview, Thomson Reuters, 2015
- The Calculation of Damages for Bodily Injury Claims, July 2014
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2011
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 2008