Brett Stephenson is a well-rounded insurance lawyer acting on behalf of numerous prominent domestic and international insurers, including many London market clients. Brett’s diverse practice includes providing defense and coverage services to a variety of clients. Brett is currently seconded with a major London market underwriting firm, providing support and claims handling services to the cyber and specialty lines claims team.
Brett frequently appears as a featured speaker at conferences and seminars for insurance industry groups.
Brett’s selected experience includes:
CYBER AND PRIVACY
Acting as defense and coverage counsel in cyber and privacy breach claims.
Defending professional liability claims against a wide range of professionals including financial planners, insurance brokers, mortgage brokers, corporate directors and officers, architects, engineers, developers, contractors and lawyers.
REGULATORY DEFENCE PROCEEDINGS
Acting as counsel in regulatory proceedings including before the Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC) and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA).
Providing coverage opinions for all types of insurance policies including Cyber Liability and Technology, Errors and Omissions, Commercial General Liability, Builder’s Risk/Construction policies.
SPORTS AND RECREATION
Defending a variety of sports and recreational bodies including amateur football, softball, golf and motorized sport organizations.
LIQUOR/COMMERCIAL HOST AND SECURITY
Acting for bars, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs in the defense of lawsuits involving occupiers’ liability and the over-service of alcohol resulting in catastrophic personal injuries and fatalities.
Defending large and small private security firms involving ejection, assault, and intoxication.
Acting as counsel for manufacturers, importers and vendors of products with alleged defects arising from both design and manufacture.
EMPLOYMENT PRACTICE LIABILITY
Acting as counsel for corporate entities and management on a range of EPL violations.
Defending motor vehicle accident lawsuits involving complex liability scenarios and catastrophic bodily injuries.
Hanson v. Totten Insurance Group Inc., 2018 ONCA 446
Successful at the Ontario Court of Appeal in upholding the finding of the motion judge that Lloyd’s Underwriters had a subrogated right to enforce mortgage proceedings against the Plaintiffs. Brett’s clients were entirely successful and awarded $15,000 in costs.
- Speaker, “Demystifying Social Engineering- Underwriting, Legal and Claims Perspectives” – PLUS Canada (May 22, 2019 at Terminal City Club, Vancouver)
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Canadian Privacy and Network Security Law” – Lloyd’s Market Association (March 19, 2019 at Lloyd’s of London).
- Speaker “Reefer Madness: the G/L and P.I. Policy Respond to New Canadian Cannabis Exposures” Lloyd’s Market Association, General Liability Committee (March 19, 2019 at Lloyd’s of London).
- Speaker, “Cyber Liability: Legal Updates & Latest Trends” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Ottawa Fall Summit).
- Speaker, “Cross-Examination” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Toronto Fall Summit).
- Speaker, “Cyber Liability: Legal Updates & Latest Trends” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Toronto Spring Summit).
- Speaker, “Recent E&O Cases” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada 2017 Toronto Spring Summit.
- Author, “Ontario Court Uses It’s Teeth To Dismiss A SLAPP Suit And Award Damages: United Soils Management v. Mohammed”, DWF Newsletter Fall 2017.
- Author, “Cybercrime A New Frontier In Insurance Law – Data Breaches and Privacy Exposures Faced By Law Firms”, OBA Insurance Law Newsletter Spring 2014.