Michael’s practice focuses on insurance defence litigation covering a wide variety of matters including professional negligence, commercial host liability, personal injury and subrogated claims. In addition, he has experience providing coverage advice and claims monitoring for foreign and domestic insurers. Michael has been involved in a significant number of class action, both as defence and monitoring counsel.
Michael’s representative work includes:
- Acting for individual defendants, corporate entities, strata corporations, contractors and property managers in respect of claims arising from the Occupiers Liability Act and B.C. Human Rights Code.
- Acting for commercial liquor providers in a variety of claims including catastrophic injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents, assaults and forcible ejections.
- Acting on behalf of dentists, naturopaths, architects, engineers and design professionals in professional negligence claims.
- The prosecution of numerous subrogated actions including fire losses, flooding, and construction deficiencies.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael was a litigator at a global law firm specializing in insurance defence.
Michael is fluent in both English and French.
Michael was called to the Quebec Bar in 2012 and the British Columbia Bar in 2014. He holds degrees in both common and civil law, as well as an LL.M. from Osgoode Hall Law School.
- “The Consequences of Failing to Name Another Party as an Additional Insured”, Dolden Wallace Folick Newsletter, January 2016.
- “Joint-Venture Drinking: Who is at Fault?”, The Publican Magazine (Alliance of Beverage Licensees of British Columbia), 2016.
- “Case Comment: Bhasin v. Hrynew, 2014 Scc 71”, Dolden Wallace Folick Newsletter, February 2015
- Editor, “British Columbia Digest of Insurance Laws”, A.M Best, 2015
- Taylor v. British Columbia (Information and Privacy Commissioner), 2017 BCSC 1420
- Young v. Vancouver International Children’s Festival, 2017 BCHRT 130
- Miscisco v. Strata Council VR1620, 2014 BCHRT 225
- Toitures et Construction Robitaille Inc. v. Liberty Mutual Insurance Company, 2013 QCCA 679
- Aldo Group Inc. v. Chubb Insurance Company of Canada, 2013 QCCS 2006
- University of Montreal v. Desnoyers Mercure & Associés, 2013 QCCS 481