Brett Stephenson is a well-rounded insurance lawyer acting on behalf of numerous prominent domestic and international insurers, including many London market clients. Brett’s diverse practice includes providing defense and coverage services to a variety of clients.
Brett frequently appears as a featured speaker at conferences and seminars for insurance industry groups.
Brett’s selected experience includes:
CYBER AND PRIVACY
Acting as defense and coverage counsel in cyber and privacy breach claims.
Defending professional liability claims against a wide range of professionals including financial planners, insurance brokers, mortgage brokers, corporate directors and officers, architects, engineers, developers, contractors and lawyers.
Brett has litigation experience defending a wide range of professionals including physicians, chiropractors and naturopaths in civil and regulatory matters. On regulatory matters, Brett assists clients from the early stages of a complaint, including providing written submissions to the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (“ICRC”), to representation before the Discipline Committee.
REGULATORY DEFENCE PROCEEDINGS
Acting as counsel in regulatory proceedings including before the Financial Planning Standards Council (FPSC) and the Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA).
Providing coverage opinions for all types of insurance policies including Cyber Liability and Technology, Errors and Omissions, Commercial General Liability, Builder’s Risk/Construction policies.
SPORTS AND RECREATION
Defending a variety of sports and recreational bodies including amateur football, softball, golf and motorized sport organizations.
LIQUOR/COMMERCIAL HOST AND SECURITY
Acting for bars, restaurants, pubs and nightclubs in the defense of lawsuits involving occupiers’ liability and the over-service of alcohol resulting in catastrophic personal injuries and fatalities.
Defending large and small private security firms involving ejection, assault, and intoxication.
Acting as counsel for manufacturers, importers and vendors of products with alleged defects arising from both design and manufacture.
EMPLOYMENT PRACTICE LIABILITY
Acting as counsel for corporate entities and management on a range of EPL violations.
Defending motor vehicle accident lawsuits involving complex liability scenarios and catastrophic bodily injuries.
Hanson v. Totten Insurance Group Inc., 2018 ONCA 446
Successful at the Ontario Court of Appeal in upholding the finding of the motion judge that Lloyd’s Underwriters had a subrogated right to enforce mortgage proceedings against the Plaintiffs. Brett’s clients were entirely successful and awarded $15,000 in costs.
From January 2019 to May of 2019, Brett was seconded to several major London market underwriting firms, providing support and claims handling services to cyber and specialty lines claims teams.
- Speaker, “Recent Court Decisions that Impact Financial Advisors and Planners.” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2020 Toronto Spring Summit – webinar)
- Speaker, “Demystifying Social Engineering- Underwriting, Legal and Claims Perspectives” – PLUS Canada (May 22, 2019 at Terminal City Club, Vancouver)
- Speaker, “Recent Developments in Canadian Privacy and Network Security Law” – Lloyd’s Market Association (March 19, 2019 at Lloyd’s of London).
- Speaker “Reefer Madness: the G/L and P.I. Policy Respond to New Canadian Cannabis Exposures” Lloyd’s Market Association, General Liability Committee (March 19, 2019 at Lloyd’s of London).
- Speaker, “Cyber Liability: Legal Updates & Latest Trends” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Ottawa Fall Summit).
- Speaker, “Cross-Examination” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Toronto Fall Summit).
- Speaker, “Cyber Liability: Legal Updates & Latest Trends” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada (2018 Toronto Spring Summit).
- Speaker, “Recent E&O Cases” – Independent Financial Brokers of Canada 2017 Toronto Spring Summit.
- Author, “Ontario Court Uses It’s Teeth To Dismiss A SLAPP Suit And Award Damages: United Soils Management v. Mohammed”, DWF Newsletter Fall 2017.
- Author, “Cybercrime A New Frontier In Insurance Law – Data Breaches and Privacy Exposures Faced By Law Firms”, OBA Insurance Law Newsletter Spring 2014.