Renata is an associate in Dolden Wallace Folick’s Toronto office. She provides defence and coverage services to domestic and foreign insurers and their insureds. Before joining Dolden Wallace Folick, Renata worked at a full service law firm in Toronto where she practiced professional liability insurance defence of architects and general civil litigation. She has appeared before administrative tribunals, the Small Claims Court, and the Ontario Court of Justice. Prior to entering private practice, Renata also worked for two government ministries.
Renata obtained an Honours Bachelor of Arts from the University of Toronto and a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Windsor. During law school, Renata was involved with two legal aid clinics where she represented clients before the Social Benefits Tribunal and Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
Renata’s practice areas include:
OCCUPIERS LIABILITY, HOSPITALITY AND LIQUOR LIABILITY, AND SPORTS AND RECREATION LIABILITY
Renata has defended municipalities, First Nations, retail stores, security companies, salons, clubs, bars and sporting facilities against personal injury claims. She has defended clients against claims involving interior/exterior maintenance, forcible ejections, over-service of alcohol and assaults. More recently, she has presented to domestic and international insurers on the implications of cannabis legalization in Canada.
PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY – E&O
Renata has experience defending a number of professionals, including veterinarians, mortgage brokers, managing general agents, contractors, engineers and architects in professional negligence claims.
Renata has defended claims relating to a wide range of products, including fireworks, bicycles, power tools and stereos.
Renata has provided coverage advice under a variety of commercial general liability, property, errors and omissions and builders risk policies, and has also acted a monitoring counsel.
MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
Renata has defended drivers and rental car agencies in single and multi-vehicle collisions.
In 2019, Renata was seconded to the claims department of a Lloyd’s Syndicate.
- Called to the Ontario Bar
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Author, “Betterment in the Construction Context”, September 2019 Dolden Wallace Folick Insure Updates
- Author, “Insurer Can Commence Power of Sale Proceeding By Way of Subrogation on Behalf of Insured Mortgagee”, June 2018 Dolden Wallace Folick Insure Updates
- Author, “Insurer Can Deny Landlord Coverage for Tenant’s Marijuana Production”, June 2018 Dolden Wallace Folick Insure Updates
- Co-author, “Court of Appeal Decides That Counsel, Not Class Members, Should Bear the Costs of Class Action Carriage Disputes”, OBA Class Actions Law Section, 2017
- Co-author, “OBA Institute 2017: CCLHR’S Program Summary͟”, OBA Constitutional, Civil Liberties and Human Rights Law Section, 2017
- Presenter at a First Nations Employment Law Session, 2017
- Co-author, “Divisional Court Finds That Discipline Committees Cannot Suck and Blow at The Same Time When Deciding Whether to Award Costs͟”, OBA Administrative Law Section, 2016
- Co-author, “Report on The OBA Program: Teachable Moments – Top Issues in Regulatory Proceedings Involving Educators”, OBA Education Law Section, 2016
- Contributor, Education and Law Journal – Annual Review of Education Law (Carswell) (2015, 2017)
- Co-author, “Human trafficking from Poland to Canada: The Kihew Energy Services Case͟”, Paper presented at the Annual Conference of the Canadian Association of Slavists, Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Brock University, May 24-26, 2014