Serena Lam is an associate at Dolden’s Vancouver office. Serena has experience in a broad range of insurance matters and she is a member of the firm’s cyber and privacy liability group.
Prior to joining Dolden, Serena gained experience in the areas of commercial litigation, employment, human rights, disability, and privacy law. Serena has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia and a number of administrative tribunals, including the BC Human Rights Tribunal, Civil Resolution Tribunal, Employment Standards Branch, Mental Health Review Board, and Social Security Tribunal.
Serena’s representative work includes:
- Acting as legal counsel and breach coach for insureds in the event of data and privacy breaches
- Defending insureds in cyber and privacy breach claims, as well as pursuing claims against third parties
- Advising and defending insureds with respect to complaints and investigations before privacy commissioners
- Advising and representing employers and organizations with respect to privacy law issues, requests for access to information, and freedom of information requests
- Defending insurers in bodily injury, occupier’s liability, and property damage claims, as well as pursuing subrogated claims involving property damage
Prior to practicing law, Serena obtained her BA and JD from the University of British Columbia. During her legal studies, Serena interned with the BC Provincial Court and volunteered with the Law Review and the Law Students’ Legal Advice Program.
Recent Court Experience:
- University of British Columbia v. Lister (2017 BCSC 41 and 2018 BCCA 139)
- Alim Holdings v. Tom Howe Holdings Ltd. (2015 BCSC 71 and 2016 BCCA 84)
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- Cyber Liability in Canada: Exposures and Trends – Insurance Institute of BC (May 2020)
- What You Need To Do When You Have a Breach – Municipal Insurance Association of BC (March 2020)
- “Cyber Exposures and Liability” – Alberta Institute of Agrologists (March 2019)
- “Incident Response and Claims Overview – CFC Cyber Launch (January 2019)
- “Fear, Uncertainty, and the Threat to your Business: Decoding Cyber Risk” – Engineers & Geoscientists BC (October 2018)
- “Privacy Law and Protection of Personal Information” – CPA Vancouver Technology Forum (September 2018)
- “Cyber Breaches: Threats and Liabilities” – Beazley Canada Webinar (September 2018)
Professional Affiliations and Memberships:
- Called to the British Columbia Bar, 2014
- Canadian Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association